7/13/2011

Not quite a year, but I'm back...kinda.

Test test test...

Writing sprint. Hmmm.

Well, at least I'm writing. It's been a long time since i've given my writing chops an outlet...not for lack of wanting to , but for the typical writing fear of being afraid of my own voice. Trying to figure out why the heck someone would still be interested in what I'm writing. I don't know. I just hope I can come up with something worthwile in this.

For those of you who haven't followed me for long, and I know I haven't had much here in the past few years, this is my little soapbox on the net. Here I've spouted concerns, frustrations, joys, and sorrows. I have really wanted to get back into the swing of things and write daily. But I've just found it so terribly difficult--again, just being afraid of my own voice. I suppose, as Mur Lafferty would say, afraid of sucking in public.

I just have to give myself the right to suck. And suck I will...those of you who've read my tweets--a lot of times I'm totally off the wall in my comments, but I know I do have some clarity on occasion. I'm hoping I do, anyway.

Regardless, this is just an exercise to write for ten minutes along with two of my favorite up-and-coming writers in a writing sprint to just come up with something. And that's what this is for me. My psyche standing behind the writer "me" prodding him along with a pitchfork and getting the writer me's ass moving.

Crap, I had to mention the ass-moving. I jumped headlong into Dan Sawyer's Great Ass-Moving experiment just after Balticon before last (2010, I'm thinking), and while I KNEW I'd owe someone $10 at the end of the run, I really wanted to write something to get out to at least get rejected. Instead, I didn't write a damn thing other than a few hundred tweets and Facebook messages.

And that's the thing. I WANTED to write.

I didn't just DO it.

That's the thing. All the eps I've listened to I SHOULD BE WRITING, all the writer podcasts I listen to--all of them say the same thing. The most important thing is just putting butt to chair and WRITE!

Thank you, Pip, for offering this tonight. This is rough, and I'm editing a little as I go even though I should just let it flow and get it out on paper. But it's done. I hope you all will keep me on the straight and narrow--riding my ass daily to write at least SOMETHING a day.

Time, gentlemen! Thanks for the sprint! :)

1 comment:

spcknght said...

And damnit, I forgot I turned comment moderation on! I've spent a year thinking that nobody's read my blog...and here I had FOUR waiting!

The writing sprint was supposed to be for an hour...and I suppose I'm STILL writing...but I don't want to pull a virtual hamstring. More tomorrow, I promise. :)